This morning was a morning dedicated (outside the ceremony of the usual poetry and fiction of writelee.com) to addressing a question found on Quora. Here is the Question:Why is being politically correct desirable (or is it)? found at: https://www.quora.com/Why-is-being-politically-correct-desirable-or-is-it
Here is this morning’s response:
There is something that bothers me about this question. Perhaps this it because it supposes there are ‘rules’ of behavior that cover every human interaction. Perhaps it is because the Q appears to toss around a loaded term as if it were not nitro glycerin. Whatever it is, I am not about to tell anybody whether PC is desirable. Instead, let me tell you what I think is desirable in any interaction involving a complex society such as exists when more than three human beings walking into a bar.
These include but are not limited to :
- Decency (without worrying about (or perhaps even noticing) whether the barista is or is not “over exposing” her/him/her-himself).
- Honesty (ameliorated by a hefty dose of story telling, of course).
- Compassion (freshly adjusted where necessary to accommodate sarcasm directed toward a racist fool).
- Empathy (unadjusted, freshly or otherwise, even as relates to the goddamned racist fool).
- Humor (Also unadjusted—see “Honesty,” though compassion and empathy might be accommodated. I am not sure about decency as relates to humor).
All of this and more contained within a practiced moral and ethical self.
So you see how complex what is desirable becomes. It can hardly be encapsulated within a trite and untruing term like “pc.”
Also, it helps to buy a round of beer (or root beer) once in a while.